Emerald Talent Group
We seek a seasoned database professional with a focus on Microsoft SQL database development, implementation, and maintenance to join us as our Senior Database Administrator. This individual will lead the evaluation, design, and administration for our databases. As a Senior Database Administrator with Delta Dental of Washington, you will be a critical player within our IT team, partnering closely with our Architecture and Development teams.
Our Senior Database Administrator (SDBA) leads complex database administration essential to the production and development databases. Database design, analysis, and security support, as well as performance monitoring and tuning, are key focuses of the role. The SDBA develops and maintains database administration guidelines, standards, and procedures for applications development, implementation, testing, and migration. In partnership with our Database Administration team, the SDBA responds to complex customer-reported systems problems. The SDBA evaluates and develops project plans, provides database expertise to other groups, and regularly interacts with management on cross-functional projects. This role independently leads projects, including occasionally leading project teams.
As an innovative leader promoting oral and overall health, Delta Dental of Washington fosters a patient-focused culture that is grounded in our core values – One Team, Pioneering, Integrity, Ownership and Invested.
Our employees have deep insight into our patients, work in a problem-solving culture, and continuously look for ways to find the best way to meet our vision and mission. We offer an environment in which every individual has the opportunity to learn, grow, and make a difference in the lives of our patients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The SDBA role contributes to the sustainment of high level performance for overall databases. Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Database Design & Administration
- Designs, improves, administers, and maintains databases
- Ensures database performance – integrity, stability and system availability – in a 24×7 production environment
- Installs, configures, validates, and monitors complex cluster services, log shipping, database mirroring, replication, load balancing, backup and recovery procedures
- Proactively monitors server, database and ETL process health to ensure availability and performance
- Builds and enforces database change management, security standards, and best practices across various database environments to ensure processes are adhered to and documented
- Supports, troubleshoot and debug production and non-production deployments of database schema changes, code deployments, and stored procedures; resolve incident and problem tickets
- Perform root cause analysis for service interruptions and create preventive measures
- Plans, tracks, and executes database maintenance cycles – installs database patches and service packs
Cross-Functional IT Projects
- Performs pro-active capacity planning; recommends and implements solutions to provide scalability
- Contributes to technology solution selection
- Contributes to the corporate projects by providing database-related expertise and implementing database-related changes
- Provides support for development teams
- Collects database requirements and works collaboratively in order to provide solutions or recommendations for new schema
- Quickly learns and understands the critical business applications in detail — such as claims adjudication, claims payment, invoicing/billing, and any other relevant processing
- Reviews continuously and recommends infrastructure solutions that improve scalability, availability, and performance in a cost efficient manner
- Serves as escalation point for technical issues within the Database Administration Team
- Lead SQL database upgrades
- Mentors junior staff
- Participates in on-call rotation
- Promotes skills growth and training throughout the team
- Models and encourages thorough technical documentation
- Strong interpersonal skills; a collaborative, team-centric work style
- Highly organized; understands the rigors of a 24 x 7 production environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable presenting to a multi-disciplined technology group and able to communicate well with non-technical business users
- Strong project management skills; experience with contracting and negotiating contracts is a plus
- Able to align with business goals; attentive to both internal and external customer experience
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in a database-focused role is required.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of relevant experience in IT (Infrastructure, Business Intelligence or Data) Engineering — or equivalent combination of education and experience – is required for this position.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in MS SQL 2008-2016.
- Advanced experience of Clustering MS SQL servers.
- Knowledge of using MS SQL with VMware and SAN solutions.
- Familiar with the IT Change management process.
- Knowledge of Agile or SDLC methodologies.
- Familiar with the N-Tier designs.
- Familiar with Hyper-converged solutions.
- Experience with scripting a plus.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Data Platform or Business Intelligence a plus.
- Experience with BizTalk a plus.
- Experience with SQL data center migrations and/or in the cloud a plus.
- Experience with SQL disaster recovery a plus.
This position holds no direct supervisory responsibilities, but may lead project teams and is expected to play a leadership role within the Database Administration Team.
DDWA’s management philosophy is one of employee growth and empowerment. Our leaders
act as coaches — working to support, guide, connect, and develop our employees. We believe in ongoing coaching conversations and frequent feedback, at all levels.
This position requires occasional travel.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit and work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, bend at the waist, and reach on a daily basis.
- Able to lift and move up to 20 pounds occasionally.
- Must utilize visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment.
- Regular and on-time attendance.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment with a moderate noise level.
Delta Dental of Washington is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.